Chloe R. Double Portrait Fall 2023

Image Attribution: “Chloe R. Double Portrait Fall 2023” by Chloe Roberts is licensed under CC0. (See interactive map)

← Previous post

Next post →

1 Comment

1. Dre Levant

The composition is balanced; though the left and right faces are about the same size, the difference in shading and hue causes the left face to pull forward more and the right face falls back because it is cast in shadow and behind the hair of the first face. I appeciate how the two faces are melding into each other with the overaapping marks and silhouettes. It gives a sense of the two people becoming one – whether or not that’s a good thing is unclear, but I like the forecfulness of the collision with the central eye tying both faces together. Chloe’s markmaking here is devisive and purposeful. At first glance, I can hardly believe it’s just conte! It seems like such a rich assortment of colours because of the way they overalp and blend. It creates varying hues that give the piece interest and richness.

As for what could be improved, I think the central eye is a really striking idea, but if it was a bit more defined or pulled forward I think that would make it stand out and be more clear. I know Chloe mentioned the paper got muddled, so this iteration of the drawing might not be able to be altered, but if Chloe ever wanted to recreate it I think focusing on making that eye the focal point would bring the composition all together. It feels a bit seperate at the moment , even though the two faces are balanced, the eye in the center not being clear makes it fall flatter than it should.

All in all though, I love the marks, the diverse colour created by the conte, and the dreamlike, surreal element to it.

Best,
    Dre