Exquisite Final Fall 2023

Image Attribution: “Exquisite Final Fall 2023” by Chloe Murray is licensed under CC0. (See interactive map)

← Previous post

Next post →

1 Comment

1. Dylan’s crit: Chloe Murray splits the Earth with a vibrant depiction of a philodendron/peonies? Pardon my lack of plant knowledge. The plants wrap through in an explosive, snake-like movement, gazing towards the audience. A frontal gaze always feel as a call-to-action. These plants ask us to look at ourselves and assess our green thumb, or our care for the planet, perhaps our empathy as a whole, even.

As a composition, the fairness of contrasting the heads of the plants pairs well with the importance of the roots. Similar to that of an iceberg, we often forget of the underlying importance of these structures beyond what we see. Not only does Murray draw our attention to the lower portion, she manages to make it as interesting as the sunny side. The quick motion of pen gives a radiation, along with the sky movement and spots of yellow, this work reminds me of Van Gogh, even drawing attention to his dark side, where there is signs of illness in these spots of yellow, they signify haze and distraction to me.