Double🐺Portrait🐻Werewolf and Werebear

Image Attribution: “Double🐺Portrait🐻Werewolf and Werebear” by Nkiruka Egbuche is licensed under a different open license (PDF). (See interactive map)

This drawing remind me of my childhood video game from SEGA “Altered Beast” 1988. It was the best classic video game that I have ever play.

← Previous post

Next post →

1 Comment

1. Nkiruka Egbuche blends cartoon representation with realistic features. Double Portrait, Werewolf and Werebear displays two characters, one frontal and one 3/4 view. Both human equivalent characters gaze inwards at the viewer, almost appearing as though they are asking for help, while the beastly counter parts gaze at the viewer, with fierce expression. The transformation seems to be happening in front of the audience in a moment of intensity, flames mask the background. The paws coinciding with each other reflects the two characters relationships, perhaps they are opposition or perhaps they complete each other.

I love the reference to “Altered Beast” and the relation of this piece to Egbuche’s childhood. We see the artist take their own turn on Altered Beast with their own rendition of the characters where they are in duality. Altered Beast was originally released as a stand-up arcade game in 1988, rereleased on the SEGA system. In the game, you play as this mutated beast to save Athena from Neff.

If I were to see anything changed in this work, I would ask for more aggression in the fire surrounding the central characters, whether this is change in stroke or more colour, something to match the energy of the characters. Nkiruka Egbuche creates these polished cartoon characters to portray a moment in story, equating to an important story of her childhood.