Dreams Final

Image Attribution: “Dreams Final” by Summer Schroeder is licensed under a different open license (). (See interactive map)

← Previous post

Next post →

1 Comment

1. Dre Levant

The diversity of marks in the composition is working so well – each section stands out on its own without seeming disengaged from the rest of the composition. The shadows and highlights on the rope is strong; it really feels like it’s coming forward through the drawing! It also gives a sense that it’s casting a shadow over the grass and the rock on the bottom right corner. It feels heavy and realistic because of the consistancy of the marks and the strong shading. The portrait in the top left corner and the racoon’s face are also distinct and I applaud Summer for their detailing work on the features! The eyes especially read distinctively as eyes and stand out in the piece. It’s clear that Summer has improved in their drawing from observation. The rock in the bottom right corner as well has purposeful, thoughtful shading that gives it a real sense of weight and existance.

As to what could be improved – I struggle aa bit with the rope dividing the piece. Because it is such a strong part of the composition it does draw my eye away from everything else. I find it difficult to look at the bottom of the picture especially because the rope keeps drawing my eye back up. Perhaps if the rope looped around the piece instead of dividing it, it would draw the eye around the composition better?
    I also struggle a bit with how the portrait melds with the rest of the piece. Since it just fades from the neck into the ceiling, I struggle with seeing how it fits into the rest of the composition (even though I do like the actual portrait very much). I just feel like it could be integrated a bit more seamlessly.

But, all in all, I think this piece is very strong work for Summer and I am so happy to see how their drawing just keeps getting better and better.

Best,
    Dre